I had my first day of mentoring on Monday. I was really nervous but excited. Unfortunately, my assigned mentee was not there, I was however paired with another girl. These two hours were really interesting for me. What I found most interesting was the way the after school program was run. My classroom was being supervised by a 22 year old guy, and the class was out of control. I was shocked, the entire time, by the amount of disorder, and the lack of control this adult had. The class included 4th and 5th graders, and I recognize that fifteen children ages nine to eleven is not easy. However, they can be worked with, I have done so with success on many accounts. If I were to characterize the class, I would say that the children were in charge. Actually, it took a lot of effort for me not to intervene. Outside of this fact, I was impressed by how the kids were rather attentive to one another. There were many different types of children in this group, yet they all accepted one another.
I am interested to see how the weeks will unfold, and I am still waiting and anticipating meeting my mentee. I think I am going to learn a lot, about myself, the way I think and I think I will learn about myself as a teacher.
No comments:
Post a Comment