Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My Mentee

I forgot to mention that the students and leaders this week were all very good this week.  No one talked about my mentee like she had a bad attitude, but I am still keeping my eyes and ears open.  I think a reason for this is because the leader they had the week the my mentee got into a bit of trouble was different then this weeks.  Sophia, the leader, is very rigid.  That is not bad, but this week when the class was told that Sophia would be back next week, my mentee was really bummed.  She does not like Sophia, and I've got to say I do not either, and I'm an adult.  I know that the class needs someone strong, but not the way the Sophia is.  I have literally never seen the class as loud and contentious then I did the week Sophia was there.  Oddly enough, I am the only adult who seems to feel that way.  The other mentors think she is good, but me and the kids are dreading her return...(of course I did not vocalize that though!)

1 comment:

  1. This is through BLAST right? If you have any concerns or suggestions regarding a leader, you can email your BLAST rep and they will talk to the site director on your behalf. They do this anonymously, so they wont know which mentor you are. That's what I did when I had a problem. Just an idea.
    Anyway, I think its great that you can sympathize with these kids and understand where they're coming from. Its hard for kids to find adults that actually listen to them. I think your presence has helped them deal with this Sophia. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete