Saturday, April 7, 2012

April 7

This weeks discussion in class were really interesting and controversial.  The reading we did in class on Wednesday was particularly interesting to me.  This document was the proposal made by the Native Americans, petitioning to have Kennewick Man returned to them.  He explained about the beliefs that he and his people believe in and how the government has violating their beliefs as well as the laws protecting Native American traditions and culture.  Although there were many parts about his reasoning that I thought were less then persuasive, nevertheless he made me think.  I thought about the things I believe in based on religion, and I thought about how I would feel to be constantly disregarded like the Native Americans are.  I took a moment to reevaluate myself and how tolerant I was of other religions.  It was a good exercise and helped to recognize that there are many religions, cultures and beliefs out there, that should be respected.

No comments:

Post a Comment