Tuesday, April 3, 2012
Week 3-5
I really have enjoyed being a mentor through BLAST. I look forward to seeing my mentee each week, and am excited to learn something new about her. She is fun, energetic and enjoys creating drama, she cracks me up. I like where I am interning, the kids a relatively respectful and the leaders allow the kids to be kids. Something that has caught my attention, is how the surveys I take via America Learns, are not really tailored to what I am doing with my metee. The cite and organization that I work with is very structured and planned. We spend the first hour working on homework and academic learning and then the second hour is spent outside playing games with the class, as a whole. There is not a lot of free time, and the surveys I take ask me questions about the types and lesson plans and strategies I use to help my mentee. The reality of it is the cite does not allow time for me to really teach. Also, my student is not really struggling with her homework, I correct words she mispronounces but that is it. It seems to me that the surveys I take are a bit out of touch with the amount of freedom I am allowed, to actually teach, as a mentor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment